Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Making cloth pull-ups

My youngest son T is five. He's mostly potty-trained but still wears pull-ups at night and sometimes when we are out for the day. He's also refusing to poop in the toilet. 
I was at Costco today and had a box of them in my hand. I sighed. $30 for this. I called my husband and said "I hate buying these things. You know what? I'm going to make some instead."   
When I got home I grabbed an old knit turtleneck, an old remnant of PUL, and some old towels. I used a pair of shorts and traced a pattern on freezer paper. I cut out the shorts, grabbed a slice of PUL, the Terry, and headed to my office/sewing space. I happened to glance over in the trash and see my sister-in-law's flannel PJs that I had used as a template for her new PJs. Ah ha...flannel is absorbent! 
I cut a few layers of flannel instead of terry, added it to the PUL, used my serger to stitch the shorts, and voila: training shorts! They're long and snug like T likes. He hates regular underwear. He's a weirdo.
Update: he's finally potty-trained. He refused to wear the training shorts I made. We just decided to not buy anymore pull-ups. 

No comments:

Post a Comment