Sunday, September 27, 2015

Sew-along time!

My friend Kristine and I are hosting a sew-along for Simplicity 1777. It's a 1940's reprint with a center front bodice. I like the V-shaped neckline and shorter sleeves of view B so that's what I'll be doing!

I traced my pattern in a size 22 and graded up two sixes. I like to trace off my patterns so that I have the original intact in case I need to make changes or a smaller size someday (one can hope, right?).

I used the instructions from a class I purchased on craftsy (Joi Mahon's class) and compared the measurements on the pattern to my own. I had to do my standard full bust, sloping shoulders, and short waist adjustments. 




I added four inches to the butt, waist (wasn't necessary) and hips, ten inches to the bust (I have a 12" difference between my chest and bust measurements as well as 12" between my hips and waist). I removed two inches off the shoulder length. 6", Simplicity? Do you think I'm a linebacker? I'm a curvy hourglass, not a miniature 5'1" football player. 

I digress. I then used my tracing paper that I bought from Richard the Thread and used that to trace the pattern and markings directly onto my fabric. 
I was going to use a blue flower print rayon but it turns out I only had 2 3/8 yards and I needed 2 7/8 yards. I received it as a gift so I'm not complaining! I'm now using the lavendar rayon. It has darker lilac circles and little red and green flowers or perhaps berries. Sure is slippery stuff! It has a lovely drape though and will be perfect to wear. 

Tomorrow I'll finish cutting the sleeves, center bodice, and bodice back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment